Often times, I hear clients say that they want to change their business page name on Facebook. After the page has been created, they may discover along the way that they originally made a mistake when deciding on their business page name.
And, you can change your Facebook business page name through one of two ways.
1. Under 100 “Likes” Option
Before you have 100 “likes” on your page, you can change your name by going to the “Edit Page” and “Basic Information,” and there you’ll be able to simply edit your name. That screen looks like this:
2. Over 100 “Likes” Option
On the other hand, if you have over 100 “likes” on your page, you must follow a different procedure for changing your business page name. You have to petition a request to Facebook and wait. When you are logged in, submit your request to change your business page name here. Facebook will ask for proof of a business name change, and unless you have a misspelling, Facebook will say, “sit tight and we will get to your request as soon as possible.”
What’s in a Name?
Of course, it’s better to be in a position where you never need a name change. Think long and hard on the name you will create for your page. And when creating the name, use these general tips:
- Keep it short.
- Use keywords when you can.
- Think hard about creating a page for you and your goal(s). For example, I’d rather see “Kim Sells Homes in Chester County” instead of “Kim Wood.”
- Ask around. Poll your friends with a few of your ideas and ask what attracts them.
- Diversify. Don’t narrow your business page specialty too much.
- Think about using a community-centered name instead of a name relating to you or real estate.
If you find you would like a name change, Facebook’s escape route works and has already made a lot of people happy.